Thursday, December 13, 2007

... in the beginning

My journey to Josie begins one year ago. After inviting my mom to join me at an informational meeting on international adoption, and with the support and blessings of my family, I signed the official papers and started down the path to motherhood.

Happiness, wonder, PANIC!!! And, unfortunately, some sadness. The past year has been a series of peaks and valleys emotionally. My original choice in countries, Guatemala, led me down a rocky road; eventually to a stop. I had to make a choice: pick another country, or wait until the Guatemalan government revised their policies and procedures. Timeline: unknown. I made the tough decision and switched my country to Kazakhstan.

I don't care where my future daughter is born.
Plus, I've heard good things about adopting from Kazakhstan. But it's so much farther away! And the travel requirements are much longer, meaning the additional family and friends I had hoped to take along will be joining me only through the blog.

What do I know for sure? These same family and friends have been the most supportive, caring group of people in the world.
I love you all!!!

And I get more excited and joyful and, yes, panicked every day as I count down the time until I meet my daughter, Josina Margaret. (Hopefully that's the name that will stick ... you know how some babies just don't look like the name you've chosen?)

Special thanks to Mary, who was the first person to tell me about international adoption, some 16 years ago. Why don't I always listen to you, Auntie Mary?

Major thanks and kudos to Karen for setting up my new blog. I just mentioned that I wanted to do it, showed her one I liked, and PRESTO - it was done. She's a seasoned blogger and has her own fantastic site showcasing her art and writing, Art in the Garage. See link.


2 comments:

Karen Smithey said...

Yay for you! I'm glad I could help you on the path to blogdom, and hopefully I'll be helpful on the way to motherhood, too--at least me and my brood haven't scared you off of it!

I'll be back often to check in...

Lucy Hofmann said...

Dearest Kelly,
We are so very happy for you all!! What a beautiful little baby girl you have been blessed with, and she with you!! You're a wonderful mother and we've had such fun reading your notes and seeing all the pictures!!
We are old friends of your parents. Mike worked for the bank with your dad.
Our love to you all!
Lucy and Mike Hofmann