Monday, January 12, 2009

Hello, from Almaty!

Mom and I are back in Almaty for visit No. 2 (of 3). This visit will be for court, with the bonus of being able to visit J for a few days, also. I'm feeling a bit nervous about court, but I can't wait for the day J legally becomes my daughter. She's already in my heart, but having those papers is the next step in bringing her home.

Our flights here were uneventful and mostly on time. We were a bit worried about getting out of the midwest, as there was bad weather at our first two airports. Never fear, fortune smiled on us and our pilots took off and landed in less than great conditions. The challenge, as always, was to get through 2 long flights with very little sleep and uncomfortable seats, and endure a lengthy layover. But, we survived!

Whether because of the less crowded flight or non-holiday conditions or just our own familiarity with the process, the airport scramble to get to customs seemed almost easy this time. Our driver from last trip, Gabit, picked us up from the airport and dropped us at the hotel, where we were greeted warmly (return guests!) My facilitator, Zhaniya, and translator, Anara, came today to take me to a notary to get papers properly set for court. Apparently, I'll have a "pre-interview" with the judge the day before court, then the official meeting on the 15th.

Assuming I get a positive ruling, then the 15 day appeals period begins (required by law). At the end of that period, J is legally my daughter and my coordinators can begin the paperwork to get her new birth certificate in her new name with me listed as her parent (!) and then begin the U.S. immigration and Embassy travel paperwork. Best guess is that we could be back in a month to take her home.

Keep fingers crossed!

3 comments:

Karen Smithey said...

So glad you got there all safe and sound! I've been thinking about you for the last couple of days, hoping you missed all that bad weather, and you did--Yay!

Kids all back to school today, so I'm in the studio for the whole day--aaaaaaah.

Anonymous said...

Yay - you made it through the snow! Thinking of you all often and sending good energy. :)

Anonymous said...

HI!!! My school censor blocks the site, and since my internet access is through there, I'm working with out administrator to get special permission to visit your site, and yakkity-blah, yakkity-blah, it still hasn't happened, while I was going crazy wanting to wish you safe ourney, etc.on your site. SO glad you're there & all is well. [I FINALLY figured out how to go through google & get the site. - It's lovely.]
You are now the big news in the Kelly family, as we wait to hear. Last Monday Cassie's birth mother called Colette's lawyer and told her giving up Cassie was the best decision she had made in her life. And Friday, IN SPITE OF her lawyer, Fumbles, trying and trying to reach her to 'BE SURE' she didn't want to change her mind, the birth mother refused to answer the phone, and now Cassie is officially not hers. We still have 3 months of New York State paperwork & a court appearance, but most of that is formality. Colette had the first of 2 home visits today & all went beautifully. The largest problem right now is that the newest grandchild is a gassy little baggage, & keeps waking up with various eruptions. Colette is staggering around sleep deprived. No other problems - Cassie's thriving and quite jolly. We will try to figure out how to e-mail you a photo or two. Can you take photos? We would all love to see one. Love to the intrepid travelers, AND the newest addition.
Aunt Syl