Monday, December 29, 2008

Home again

Our flights home were on time and smooth. Although I do have to point out there was a HUGE difference between the KLM leg from Almaty to Amsterdam and the Northwest leg from Amsterdam to Detroit. Granted, it was a smaller plane, but the KLM flight was so much more comfortable and pleasant. If you want details, ask me, otherwise, enough said : )

Back home again and into the old routine. Sort of comforting to get back in the swing of things, but still more travel to plan and paperwork to prepare. I got the word from my Kaz. facilitator (on the ride to the airport!) that my court date is set for January 15 and I need to be there before the 14th to go over things and prepare.

We'll have to leave on the 10th to get there in time, as KLM doesn't fly from Amsterdam to Almaty on Sundays (the 11th, which would've been better). January 10 is only 12 days from today - Yikes!

However, the timing does clarify one thing for me regarding 2 trips vs. 3: there is not enough time at home to get things done to prepare for J's arrival, and not enough time at work to prepare for me being gone on leave. So ... It will have to be 3 shorter trips, rather than a 2nd long one. More fun on the plane, yay.

Hopefully, I'll be allowed to visit J on this next trip. It's specifically for the court date, which usually consists of the judge, a prosecutor, and other court personnel; the Baby House director, a member of the Education department, my facilitator, a translator and me. (I think that's all). Upon a favorable ruling (could be that day, or take several days), a 15-day appeals period begins, and paperwork is begun that will be filed in Astana, the capital. Total stay is about a week, plus travel time. The third trip is a bit shorter and involves receiving custody of J, visiting the American Embassy doctor, finalizing paperwork and travel documents for J. Then home. I can't wait for that last part!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! Sounds like Josie will be here in the states with you before you know it!

Anonymous said...

Glad you and Mom had a safe journey home! I'll be back in GR soon, wlll be in touch about New Year's and to hear the stories of your journey and see more pix. :) eHugs, Val

Anonymous said...

Awesome Kelly! I am so excited for you and Josie is a beautiful baby. You are so lucky.

Becky Rynbrandt