Friday, December 5, 2008

On our way ...

Today's the day! Our flight leaves Detroit at 9:15 pm, arriving in Amsterdam nearly 8 hours later. Then a 7 hour layover in Amsterdam, before making the final leg of the journey to Almaty. (about 6.5 hours). That's a lot of traveling for this homebody!

But what is awaiting me at the other end is priceless ... The anticipation and the gift I will receive is far better than any Christmas morning in my memory (that includes 1969, the year I got the stuffed dog AND the lifelike baby doll).

The endless rounds of updated paperwork and documents to be notarized and apostilled is done - for now. The overnighting of our travel visa application, the scramble for unsullied cash to take for exchange and the rush to buy baby clothes, toys and caregiver gifts is over. The suitcase is packed (42 pounds, under the limit if you trust my scale ... ) and I am as ready as I'll ever be.

Are you ever ready?

As is often the case, best laid plans ... the idea was for me to go to the Baby House on Monday, December 8, but Monday is a Kazakhstan holiday. (Kurban Ait - Feast of Sacrifice) So I'll be meeting the little sweetheart on Tuesday, instead. More time to recover from jetlag and get our bearings : )

I don't even know where to start thanking all the people in my life who supported me in this journey and who continue to send their best wishes. You are all truly wonderful, fabulous people. Yes, fabulous : )

My next post will be from Almaty, Kazahkstan, where tomorrow's weather should be mostly sunny and 39 degrees Fahrenheit. Gotta think that's better than snow and 19 ...

1 comment:

Karen Smithey said...

Can't wait for updates--all of the Smithey's are eagerly waiting to hear more!